post from Talking Chop
on 05 May 2012 03:01:19 AM. © Talking Chop
Gwinnett was rained out, Evan Gattis went deep for the second straight day, Nick Ahmed hit a bomb as well, and Rome completely laid an egg.
Gwinnett Braves @ Columbus Clippers - Postponed
Another day, another minor league game rained out. As this was the last game in the series, an official make-up date hasn't been announced yet, but it will probably be in mid-June when these teams meet next.
Mississippi Braves 4, Mobile BayBears 6
- Evan Gattis, LF: 2-4, 2B, HR(2), 2 R, 2 RBI, .438
- Todd Cunningham, CF: 2-4, 3B, RBI, SB(2), OF Assist, .303
- Andrelton Simmons, SS: 1-4, 2B, R, .319
- David Hale, SP: 6 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 4.73 ERA
- Cory Rasmus, RP: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1.35 ERA
David Hale got the start in this one and was solid but unspectacular. Hale went 6 innings and allowed only six baserunners, but three of them came around to score. Hale left with the score 4-3, but Mark Lamm
blew the save in the bottom of the ninth, giving up a walkoff homer. The pitching was alright, but the story of this game was Evan Gattis, who hit his second AA homer in as many days. Gattis went 2-4 and also stroked a double. He drove in two and scored two on the day, and after 4 games with Mississippi, Gattis is hitting a cool .438. Todd Cunningham had another big day today as well, going 2-4 with a triple and a steal. He also notched his second outfield assist in as many days.Gary Moran gets the start tomorrow for the M-Braves.Myrtle Beach Pelicans 7, Lynchburg Hillcats 3
- Tim Smith, LF: 2-5, 2B, RBI, .444
- Nick Ahmed, SS: 1-4, HR(2), .286
- Tommy La Stella, 2B: 1-5, R, SB(7), .325
- Edward Salcedo, DH: 1-5, 3B, R, .248
- Gus Schlosser, SP: 4.2 IP, 10 H, 7 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 5.50 ERA
- Brett Cammons, RP: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 0.00 ERA
- Blaine Sims, RP: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 5.79 ERA
Lynchburg really never had a chance tonight, as Gus Schlosser giving up 10 hits and 7 runs over 4.2 innings. Brett Cammons and Blaine Sims were both brilliant in relief however, as they combined for 4.1 innings of hitless ball, each striking out 3. For Cammons this was his season debut. For the hitters, every Hillcat had at least one hit except Braeden Schlehuber
. Nick Ahmed went deep for the second time this year, and Tommy La Stella stole his 7th base. La Stella's seven steals lead the Hillcats, as does his .325 average.Dimasther Delgado makes his second start of the year tomorrow.Rome Braves 2, Hagerstown Suns 10
- Kyle Kubitza, 3B: 1-4, 2B, .258
- Cory Brownsten, C: 1-3, HR(1), .135
- Navery Moore, SP: 3.1 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 4 BB, 5 K, 5.24 ERA
- Ryne Harper, RP: 3 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 3.86 ERA
Rome put up a stinker tonight, as the pitching gave up 10 runs and the offense managed just 4 hits. Navery Moore started and allowed 10 baserunners in 3.1 innings. The bullpen was no better, as John Cornely, Ryne Harper, and Wilson Rivera all gave up runs as well. Cory Brownsten, Rome's light-hitting catcher, hit his first homer of the year and Kyle Kubitza smashed a double, but other than that, the offensive was just as forgettable as the pitching was. A.J. Holland takes the mound for Rome tomorrow.
Read The Full Article: http://www.talkingchop.com/2012/5/5/3000431/gattis-homers-for-the-second-straight
-day-ahmed-goes-deep-as-well-and Add to del.icio.us Digg this Post to Furl Add to reddit Add to myYahoo!