post from Red Reporter
on 17 June 2009 10:09:00 PM. © Red Reporter
More photos » by David Kohl - AP
Browse more photos »
Joe Nuxhall Memorial Star of the Game
Micah Owings. I don't know what more you could ask for from your 5th starter. Six innings and 2 runs allowed plus a 3-run home run to put the team up 4-2.
- With 2 outs in the bottom of the 2nd, Jay Bruce hit his 16th home run of the season.
- Owings walked Nate McLouth to start the 3rd inning and then gave up a 2-run home run to Yunel Escobar.
- In the bottom of the 5th, a Jerry Hairston Jr. walk was followed by a Ryan Hanigan single and that was followed by our Frisch's Big Boy Big Play of the Game, a 3-run opposite field home run by Owings.
- Nick Masset struggled for the 2nd night in a row, allowing a double, a walk and 2 wild pitches to make it a 4-3 ballgame.
- Arthur Rhodes came in and do what Arthur Rhodes do, shutting down the rally by getting Brian McCann to ground out.
- Francisco Cordero walked a batter with one out in the 9th, but then got McLouth to ground out and Escobar to fly out to close out his 16th save of the season.
- Bruce now has a modest 4-game hitting streak. It's not much, but it's there.
- Rhodes had his first plate appearance since June 12, 2001 when he struck out on 3 pitches. He had the same result tonight.
- Reds 1-5 hitters were 0-for-17 tonight. The offense managed just 4 hits on the night, and 3 of them were by the 8th and 9th hitters. It was the 5th time in the last 6 games that the offense has managed 6 or fewer hits.
- Despite Masset's struggles tonight, the bullpen continues to be outstanding. Rhodes, David Weathers, and Cordero have been virtually automatic this season.
| Final - 6.17.2009 || 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6 || 7 || 8 || 9 ||R|
| Atlanta Braves ||0||0||2||0||0||0||1||0||0||3|
| Cincinnati Reds ||0||1||0||0||3||0||0||0||X||4|
Read The Full Article: http://www.redreporter.com/2009/6/17/912943/reds-owe-this-win-to-micah-4-3-win Add to del.icio.us Digg this Post to Furl Add to reddit Add to myYahoo!